Search This Blog

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Kenneth Cole & the Abortion Debate

Flipping through my Marie Claire I spotted an advertisement that caught my eye..

Kenneth Cole, a well-known label, had a new marketing plan with an interesting twist.
"Should it be a woman's right to choose if she's the one carrying it?" span across the entire page. A link to Where Do You Stand . Com sits underneath.  One can only assume this is meant to say, "CAN A WOMAN CHOOSE TO HAVE AN ABORTION?"

Ironically, the website link then directs you to either a) Take part in a provocative debate or b) Go shopping. Hmmm.. 

I don't know how to feel about this one.  They create a play on words as the woman is actually carrying, granted she's carrying a purse.   Sure, it is a hot topic, however can they really get away with comparing having an unwanted baby to holding a bag in your hand?

The advertisement has caught me off guard and Kenneth Cole has effectively made me uncomfortable. And not in the fashionable, sexy light that most designers go for.  It's bizarre to see the fashion world mixing with such a touchy subject, and to do it so openly, to make money?  The more I contemplate, the more I realize I am not a fan. 

What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment