Search This Blog

Sunday, October 23, 2011

New Perspective on Levi Jeans

After choosing Levi's Jeans for a large "Brand Dissection" project in my Advertising Prinicples class, I suddenly began to notice the brand-- everywhere.  When we had our first group discussion about it, all of the girls realized that we didn't own anything by Levi.  However the boys in the group had each owned something; be it jeans or even shoes.  This brought me to a fundamental question: what was the brand missing when it comes to women?

I hadn't ever given much thought to buying the original denim brand.  I always chose jeans that were a. cute, b. fit well, and c. inexpensive.  And somewhere along the line Levi jeans just didn't cut it. 

Spending more than an hour at the mall made me realize, Levi jeans were advertising everywhere! There were sold everywhere!  And yet, I never had owned any.  Kohl's, Boston Store, and JC Penny were some of the retailers that I had found who sold Levi's.  All had them marked at reasonable prices, were attractively displayed, and located in the center of the jean area.  So what could be the reason that so many females around college and high school age do not buy this brand?

One thing I had noticed were the styles.  Levi lacked a lot of the very popular "Skinny" jean styles.  Instead, they had a much larger proportion of flair and boot cut denim.  The "Skinny" rack was demolished- with only a couple pairs (in sizes 00 and 16).  In addition, the wash of the jeans were not "BeDazzled" with any distress or gems...something very popular. Rather, Levi had way too many boring washes, fits, and styles. 

Over the course of the brand analysis I hope to discover a lot more about Levi Strauss Jeans including how to improve the number of female customers.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment